Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Simple Quilted Wall Hanging

Wall hangings are the perfect way to use small pieces of fabric when you don't have enough for a quilt or something requiring multiples (like placemats). I had a charm pack of California Girls by Fig Tree sitting around that I've had for a long time, since the line was brand new. I was stuck in one of those crazy fabric conundrums of "I love it, but I don't want to waste it so I'll hoard it like a weirdo until I find the perfect project." If you like fabric you know what I mean :)
Image

Image

So after repainting our bedroom and taking everything off the walls, I decided to make a wall hanging to fill a large blank space. I based the wall hanging off a pattern by Ruby Blue Quilting Studio called Charmed Living Topper. I used about 2/3 of the charm pack, about half a yard for the backing, and a fat quarter for the binding.
Image


Image

My favorite part of any quilt is piecing the top. Mixing and arranging all the colors and patterns never gets old. I even love cutting--though I could totally live without pinning. Hate pinning...

Image


Image

See why I had a hard time cutting into this fabric? It's gorgeous!

Image


Image


Image


Image


Image


Image


Image


Image

 I didn't measure the finished product, but it's approximately 24" square. Projects like this are a great introduction to quilting since they're far less intimidating than a huge quilt. And if you're not a patient person (I am not patient person), this is a project that could easily be completed in an afternoon.

What are you working on?

No comments:

Post a Comment