Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Project Pinterest: Flower Pot Bubblegum Machine

It's been forever since I've done a Project Pinterest post. I've made plenty of things from Pinterest in the past few months but just about all of them have been recipes. I'm usually too wrapped up in making sure what I'm cooking or baking is edible to remember to take any pictures. So I'll just stick to crafty things :)

This project was one that caught my eye just because it was cute and fun.  I pinned it and didn't really think I'd ever do anything with it until one day when Charlotte was sitting with me looking at all the pretty pictures on Pinterest. We were looking at my Projects board and I told her to pick what she wanted to make and we would go to the craft store and get whatever we needed. So she picked this. It isn't very functional and definitely not a problem solver but whatever. The whole thing cost me about $2.50 and now I have a candy dish.

The project? A bubblegum machine made out of a terra cotta flower pot and a glass vase. The original pin can be found here and the site it originated from is here.

I bought the flower pot and vase but everything else I already had. It took three coats of spray paint to get it evenly covered and shiny, and after painting I left it outside for 48 hours to make sure it was completely set and the paint smell was gone. I planned on putting M&Ms in mine and didn't want any residual paint odors.

Here's the paint I used, leftover from a past project:
This brand and type of spray paint is great. I love that there's no extra step of priming involved and even if the first (and second) coats look like a hot mess it all comes together at the end and I get a smooth, shiny finish. My spray painting technique is appalling, so the fact that I can make something look presentable is amazing.




A certain someone ended up in the background on this photo when she heard the M&Ms hitting the glass:



After just one day the M&M level is noticeably smaller...

Happy pinning!

~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment