I'm kind of cheating in calling this a Project Pinterest since a friend actually found this idea on Etsy and asked if I could recreate it for her little guy for Halloween. If you search "sushi costume" on Pinterest, however, the photo from the original Etsy find pops up about a hundred times.
You can find the
original Etsy listing here along with other adorable and creative baby costumes from the original mastermind behind this idea
here at The Wishing Elephant store.
When I first got the request to make this costume, I was a little nervous. I've never made a costume before and I have very little experience working with felt. I decided I was up to the challenge and I'm so happy I went for it--the costume ended up being surprisingly simple to put together and the felt was really easy to work with. I used
this tutorial as a guide, which was written by the creator of the original costume (Carolyn Caffelle). I didn't follow it exactly--it has templates you can use for all the shapes but I just drew mine freehand using the finished photo as a guide.
**Notes on materials: I used regular felt, not the stiffened kind. I felt (ha) like the stiffened kind would end up being too heavy on the bodysuit once the adhesive and everything was on it. I recommend avoiding it! Also, instead of using a separate fusible adhesive and parchment paper I bought a roll of
Heat'n Bond Ultra Hold Iron-On Adhesive. It's inexpensive and came with enough that I have plenty left over for other projects.
So here's a little pictorial on how I turned a few pieces of felt and a white onesie into a shrimp roll:
 |
| My sketches turned into paper pattern templates. |
 |
| After cutting all the pieces, I fused them to the Heat'n Bond then fused the whole thing to the onesie. |
 |
| Forgot to take pictures of the grass/lettuce making process... |
 |
| I can honestly say I've never made felt wasabi before! |
 |
| ...or felt ginger! |
 |
| Ta Da! |
I'm pleased with how it turned out and I can't want to see pictures of Baby E. in all his sushi glory!
~Stacy
No comments:
Post a Comment