Friday, December 2, 2011

Charming Coasters

I have a problem with charm packs. Let me rephrase-- my problem is most definitely not with charm packs, as I love them.  A lot.  My problem is that I collect and save charm packs (and by "save" I mean "hoard") to the point that I have filled the better part of a large storage trunk with them.  Considering their small size, (5" squares) this is kind of a shocking amount. To alleviate this problem, and to make room for more squares, I've made quite a few fun projects using primarily charm squares.  I figured I would kick off the holiday season with these festive and super-simple coasters.

You will need:
8 charm squares (for 4 coasters)
Scraps of thin cotton batting (large enough to cut into 5" squares)
Sewing machine
Coordinating thread
Sewing needle
Iron
Scissors
Pins

DSCF3380
I chose to use some leftover charms from last year's 12 Days of Christmas by Kate Spain for Moda.  You can still find some of this line on Etsy--just search for it and several shops have some yardage and precuts in stock.

Start by choosing which charm squares you want to go together and select 4 sets of 2 squares each.  Put the 2 pieces on top of one another with right sides together.  Cut the batting into four 5" squares.  Place one piece of batting on top of each of the charm sets and pin around all sides.

DSCF3424

Sew around all sides using a 1/4" seam allowance and leaving a small opening for turning.  Trim corners and turn right side out.

DSCF3426

Press and hand sew the opening closed.   Sew a square inside the coaster by sewing 1/2" from the outer seam on all sides.  You can keep sewing squares within squares like this, or do any design (or no design) you like.

DSCF3439

Pile them up, tie in a cute little bow, and and now you have a unique and adorable stocking stuffer (or gift for yourself)!

DSCF3438


DSCF3512

I've also made several sets in non-Christmasy fabrics for everyday use.  You can toss them in the washer & dryer if needed, though you will most likely need to iron them after.  Happy sewing!

~Stacy


No comments:

Post a Comment