When I was pregnant, my mom made me a set of flannel burp cloths that quickly became the ones I preferred using over anything else I had. It's funny how I find myself having opinions on things like burp cloths, diapers, bibs, etc. but it happens. I seem to go through about 400 (or so it seems) cloths in a day. I also seem to lose them or leave them places, so having a lot on hand is necessary. These cloths are super quick to make, soft for baby's skin, and really absorbent.
To make 3 cloths, you will need:
1/2 yd flannel fabric
Sewing machine
Coordinating thread
Scissors & cutting mat
Pins
Iron
Make sure to pre-wash the fabric before cutting/sewing. Iron after drying, then lay out the fabric, folding in half selvage to selvage (to reduce cutting time). Cut 3 pairs of fabric, each 7"X15".
For each pair, place one piece on top of the other with right sides together. Pin around all sides.
Sew around all sides using a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a small opening at one end for turning. Trim corners.
Turn right side out, using a turning tool for the corners. Iron. Sew the opening closed (for a neater look, it's best to hand stitch but if you're feeling lazy like me you can machine stitch as close to the edge as possible).
That's it. It's really that simple. I try not to go too crazy with detail and time when it comes to something my baby is going to literally spit on and instead save that for more special projects, like quilts, toys and room decor. You are welcome to adorn your burp cloths however you wish :)
Baby approved!
~Stacy
Ahh they look so cute! I love the turquoise/red dot flannel.
ReplyDelete