Monday, December 12, 2011

I'll Have Christmas

I rarely commit to anything without a lot of planning and forethought, but I just grossly violated my own rule.  I was on the phone with my mom talking about Christmas plans.  We were discussing the plan that had been made since July regarding the "wheres", "whens", and "whos" of the day.  The original plan was one that no one seemed overjoyed with, and as the day creeps closer we've all been getting a little more Scrooge-y about it.  My mom was ready to scrap the whole thing and just host the event at her house, despite not wanting to (and after having it as her house for the past several years in a row, I understand).  At this point, my common sense decided to check out of the conversation and go have a seat in the recliner because my mouth blurted out the words "I'll have Christmas!" before I realized what was happening.  Upon hearing this, common sensed leaped up from its comfy spot across the room and dashed over, hands waving and mouthing the words "are you crazy??".  My common sense is very grandiose in its gestures.  Anyway, the words were out.  Husband overheard and shouted "that's a great idea!" (not sarcastically; he's a very agreeable person) so there was no going back.

Basically, I just agreed to entertain 16 adults, 1 baby, and 1 socially "questionable" little dog in 2 weeks in my very small home (in my case, cottage accurately describes the size of my home.  It's not like the "cottages" you see in Coastal Living magazine in Martha's Vineyard that someone purchased as a quaint 4200 square foot summer escape).  I could tell my mom was so happy about this plan (because she said "I am SO happy!") so I couldn't go back on my word.  Within minutes almost everyone knew about the idea and was excited, and it became infectious. I can do this I told myself.  The more the idea sunk in the more I decided it was actually a great plan.  Chad and I don't have to go anywhere, the baby can stay here and nap in her own bed when she needs to, and there's no loading/unloading of the car with all of the various items (plus presents) we come with when we go anywhere.  All I have to do is clean, cook a few side dishes, and try not to panic.  I can do that!

Christmas has always been my favorite holiday, and the same goes for my family.  My house is small but it's full of Christmas spirit.  My kitchen is tiny but it'll cook up an awesome holiday dinner that everyone will love.  My living room is not large, but everyone will be in it together opening presents and enjoying the day.  It's my daughter's very first Christmas and she'll get to spend it in her own home surrounded by all the people who love her most in the world.  And for that I couldn't be happier.  So Christmas, here we come!

102_4919

In the meantime, I still have some projects to finish (and by finish, I mean start and then hopefully think about finishing).  One of these projects is the baby blocks I showed in the last post.  They're supposed to be part of Charlotte's Christmas gift, so hopefully they'll make it under the tree.  Thankfully she will be blissfully unaware of their absence if they aren't done in time and I won't yet have to explain why Santa needs to fire his lazy elves who can't even finish Christmas presents in time for the big day.  This will be the last year in probably forever that I can get away with this, but hopefully I won't have to.  If I can host Christmas unexpectedly then I can certainly whip up a few baby blocks.  At least that is what I like to think :)



~Stacy




No comments:

Post a Comment