Chad has been eagerly waiting for the chance to take her camping, so he booked a one night stay at Mt. Gilead State Park (about a 90 minute drive from us) in a tiny one room cabin on a campground. In the time leading up to the trip Charlotte kept talking about how much she wanted to go, and they went a few days before and picked out all of her camping gear.
She was super excited about that sleeping bag. And the lantern. And the backpack. But her favorite thing to pick out? Her new camping shoes, which she saw and immediately said "ooooh, spark-a-ly!"
She helped pack everything up (and tested the lantern):
They left on Saturday morning, stopped on the way for lunch, then got to their cabin around noon. It rained most of the day, but they still had fun hiking, playing around in the cabin, and discovering three playgrounds on site.
This was just a Daddy & Charlotte trip. My kind of camping...well, there really isn't a "my kind" of camping. A cabin with electricity, running water, a clean bathroom, and heat & a/c is my kind of camping. I love being outdoors, I enjoy hiking, but after a few hours I like to be back home where I can shower and use lights (and toilets that flush). And this way they got a chance to do something special that was just the two of them. And I got an evening to myself where I wandered through a bookstore with no agenda, ordered takeout, and watched reruns of The Big Bang Theory while sewing. Not a bad deal :)
I missed them both, but they had a blast and she can't wait until her next camping trip! Since then we've set out her sleeping bag at least once a day and "pretend camped" with a toy camping supply set from Chad's sister (thank you, Aunt Colleen! She loves it!) and her fake food. Today she cooked me tomatoes and cake and on her camp stove (yum).
Happy August!
~Stacy









No comments:
Post a Comment