In an effort to find something to sew that was a much needed break from sewing clothing, I turned my attention to the most used room in the house: the kitchen. This week's posts (and maybe next week's too) will be all about sewing things for your kitchen/dining room.
About few years ago I made a bunch of fabric napkins and stopped using paper napkins altogether. I made a bunch of them so we aren't constantly running out and I just toss them in with the laundry a few times a week. Lately we've been running low (which maybe speaks to my procrastination with doing laundry, but for the sake of this post let's pretend that is not the case). I've had to throw a few of them out because of stains so it it was time to replenish.
If you're interested in making your own stash of fabric napkins, here's how:
I make mine out of squares of fabric 11"X11" each. After sewing, each finished napkin ends up being about 10" square.
So grab as many fabric pieces as you want and let's get cutting! (but make sure you press all those fabrics first, of course).
Cut each piece 11"X11".
Lay the fabric on your ironing board, right side down. Fold each edge down about 1/4" and press in place.
Now fold over again on all four sides and press down, and this time pin in place.
Next, remove fabric from "helper":
Sigh.
After you've pinned all four edges, sew them all close to the folded edge.
Now press, and you're done! Wasn't that easy? No go make a bunch! It's a great way to use up larger fabric scraps (and clear room for more fabric).
No comments:
Post a Comment