Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sewing for Home, Kitchen Series: Fabric Coasters

Continuing with the kitchen theme (read all about how to make your own fabric napkins here), today we're making fabric coasters!

I love this project because it's incredibly quick and easy, gives a good intro to basic quilting if you're new, and is perfect for small scraps or my favorite precut of them all: the charm pack.

Enter, the charm pack:
Image

 This is the newest line by Bonnie & Camille for Moda and I looove it--though I've seen some previews of their Scrumptious line that's coming out soon and I think I love that one even more! But anyway, using charm squares made this project extra fast and easy since I had very little cutting to do.

IMG_8627

To make four coasters you'll need:



  • 8 charm squares (or 8 fabric scraps measuring 5"x5" each)

  • 4 pieces of non-fusible batting, also measuring 5"x5" each

IMG_8631

Put the two fabric pieces on top of each other with right sides together.

IMG_8632

Then place the batting on top of both pieces.

IMG_8633

Sew around all four sides with a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving about 1.5" open for turning. Clip corners.

IMG_8635

IMG_8636

Turn right side out and press, then stitch the opening closed by sewing as close to the edge as possible (or hand stitch closed).

IMG_8637

Next, I quilted by simply stitching two squares (one inside the other). I used my presser foot as a guide and stitched the larger square by lining the outside edge of the coaster up with the outer edge of the presser foot. I followed the same pattern for the smaller square, and lined the stitching of the large square up with the outer edge of the presser foot.

IMG_8638

Press again after you quilt and voila! Coasters: complete.

IMG_8641

IMG_8642

IMG_8645

IMG_8646

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment