Let's back up.
This all initially started here, where we decided to paint the dark wood trim in the dining room a nice, crisp white. We didn't want to commit to doing the rest of the trim in the living room and upstairs hallway until we were sure we really liked it. It's a big change, and frankly, it's a crappy job. Well, we ended up loving the look of the white trim so we decided to move forward with finishing the rest of it. Since we knew we'd be moving everything out of the living room to paint the trim anyway, we figured why not just repaint the walls since it's been way too long. Makes sense, right? K.
We've also wanted to install built-in bookshelves in the dining room pretty much since we moved in. We finally had someone out to give an estimate and decided to go for it. These will be installed within the next several weeks, so we thought we ought to hurry up and paint the living room since we didn't want two rooms out of commission at once. We're also going to do all the priming and painting of the bookshelves ourselves, so yet another reason to get one painting project out of the way.
While I was testing paint colors for the living room, I was reminded of how our couches have seen better days. Much better days. We've had them over 8 years, they were pretty cheap to begin with, and they're a blue/green color that has not aged well. I bought slipcovers last year, but I really didn't like the look of them. They were ill-fitting and just ended up looking like...slipcovers. So then we decided we should take the plunge and get some new couches. Ok, so now we're at new paint, built-ins, and new furniture.
As we were getting the room ready to paint, we decided that a new furniture arrangement would be nice. We'd been stuck with pretty much the same one mostly because of our TV. The TV isn't a terribly large screen (I think 27"?) but the entire unit was approximately the size of our refrigerator. I think it was at least 3 feet deep and weighed at least 185 pounds. We had it on a TV stand/entertainment center thing that I've never liked but it worked and served the purpose we needed. Chad's been heavily hinting for years that maybe we should look into a new TV, maybe one that doesn't require a crane to lift or a huge contraption to store it on. It just so happened that he had researched exactly which TV we should get if we should ever decide...and, coincidentally, Costco had said TV on sale. Two hours later it was in Chad's trunk on its way home.
So, without initially planning on it, we've completely rearranged and gotten rid of half our living room furniture, ordered new couches, and gotten fully immersed in repainting. Oh, and since we had to take the picture frames off the walls anyway, I decided to update all the pictures and spray paint some of them to coordinate with our new colors better. Because what's one more project, right?
We're chugging along, getting as much done as we can during naps and in the evenings after Charlotte goes to bed. In the meantime, it looks like my living room threw up all over my dining room and kitchen.
It's not pretty, but here you have it:
| Don't worry, I didn't decide on a leopard print design for the trim. It's wood filler, waiting to be sanded and painted. |
![]() |
| My poor sewing table. |
![]() |
| Charlotte "helping" |
I can't wait to have the finished "After" pictures.
~Stacy



No comments:
Post a Comment