Wednesday, September 5, 2012

All Over the Place

The title says it all--I've been all over the place this past week.  We spent our Labor Day weekend painting, rearranging furniture, painting, hanging pictures, painting, and trying to put our house back together into something resembling an actual living space.  We went to the store to get a replacement TV for our new, 6 day old one that somehow managed to escape quality assurance testing and was a total dud that stopped working.  Entirely.  We also managed to pretty much rearrange/redo 50% of our house in one long weekend.

We are sore.

I don't have "After" pictures ready yet.  My curtain rod just arrived in the mail today, so the drapes will be up shortly.  I have some picture frames to spray paint and photos to put in them that I just ordered, then everything will need to be hung.  I haven't even charged my camera in days, though not for lack of trying.  I had it plugged in for hours yesterday only to discover later that the power strip was never on in the first place.

I need to make something.  I know I've been busy with the house project stuff, but I need to actually make something.  I haven't sewn in awhile and it's making me crazy.  A friend made a request today for me to make her little guy a Halloween costume, which I'm very excited about...more on that coming soon :)

Can you believe it's September already?  Me neither.  The high school football games have started back up.  I think I've mentioned before that the high school in our city is literally in our back yard--as in, over the fence is the concession stand and just a few feet away is the field and stands.  I never noticed how loud the marching band is until I was trying to put Charlotte to bed last week right as the game was starting.  I briefly considered asking the drum line if they could maybe consider just using half the line during home games, or maybe moving completely indoors.  It seriously felt like they were playing in my living room.  Charlotte must be used to it though, she slept through all of it.  It wasn't until all was quiet and I tiptoed upstairs to check on her, stubbed my toe on her door and whispered a very bad swear word that she woke up crying.  Sure, the 165 decibels coming from the marching band was no problem but mommy whispers a word that rhymes with "truck" and it's intolerably loud.

I have a pile of fabric sitting on my table right now, as a reminder to myself that I want to sew tonight instead of getting wrapped up in other things.  Like falling down the black hole that is Pinterest, or working on any consulting projects, or working on any house projects, or cleaning.  Or laundry.  Or...you get the idea.  I've recently discovered two wonderful new blogs that have the best sewing ideas/tutorials ever.  The first is Craftiness is not Optional.  The author, Jess, has two adorable little girls (one of whom is named Charlotte!) and makes things for them and herself all the time.  I love her style and her tutorials are simple to follow.  The other is Make It and Love It, where author Ashley also has young children and sews items for them, babies, women, home decor, and gifts.  Her tutorials are very thorough, well written, simple, and focus a lot on repurposing.  I'm going to turn to her site tonight when I finally buckle down and make myself learn how to make ruffles and shirring.  Wish me luck.

Have a good day.  Whatever day it is.  Just have a good one.

~Stacy


No comments:

Post a Comment