I didn't even realize it at the time, but my last post was my 100th! I don't feel like I've written that many, but I suppose that's a good thing. If it felt like a chore I wouldn't enjoy it (unless it was folding laundry, which is a chore that I love. I know that's weird. And you'd think I'd hate it given how often I do it, but nope. Love it.).
I've had people ask me what the blog is about, or if I want to "do anything" with it. Well, I guess I'm not really sure. The blog isn't really about one specific topic. I have too many interests to narrow it down very much. I like sewing, crafting, making stuff, decorating, cooking, baking, the list goes on. But I also love photography and taking pictures of nature. And Charlotte. And Howard. And Chad. (this list is in no particular order). I have an Etsy shop, but the blog rarely focuses on it. It doesn't exist to promote or sell any particular thing, but sometimes it does. So I guess the blog is just me--a snapshot of my life on a given day. The house I'm constantly trying to make a home by updating/changing/personalizing/painting/fixing. The projects I'm sewing/quilting/building/trying not to mess up. The food I'm cooking/baking/burning/sharing. The baby I'm raising/chasing/cleaning up after/loving. The dog I'm scolding/feeding/Frisbee-ing. The husband I'm sharing all of this with.
This blog, like my life, is a mixed bag of everything I find worthwhile and interesting. Sometimes I just want to make something and tell you about it. Sometimes I want to practice my photography and need an outlet to share and improve. Sometimes I have a recipe that's too good not to pass along. A lot of times my little girl is adorable (I know, I'm biased), and since she consumes about 80% of my time each day I wouldn't be giving an accurate portrayal of life as I know it if I left her off here. Also, I have a lot of family who doesn't get to see her (or us) on a frequent basis, so this is a place they can come to "visit."
So after 100 posts, I still don't have a clear direction of exactly where this blog is going. I just know that I love doing it, and if you enjoy reading it even half as much then we're in good shape. And if you do enjoy this blog, please follow or subscribe--I am thinking of phasing out Facebook over the next couple of months, which is where I usually share the blog now.
Also in the next couple of months I want to overhaul the look of the blog. I want it to be more personalized and creative--I think I've finally learned enough to make it happen. Stay tuned for those changes, as well as a bi-monthly segment that will be starting soon called "Project Pinterest." More on that to come...
In the meantime, here is my latest project that was one of the inspirations for Project Pinterest: a large quilted tote bag. I bought a quilt kit at Kathie's Quilt Shoppe in Maine (it was just featured in the Spring 2012 issue of BHG's quilting magazine as a Featured Shop!). The kit used a mix of Amy Butler fabrics, which are some of my favorites ever--I'm a huge Amy Butler fan. I used a pattern from Quilts Illustrated by Penny Sturges called ps030 City Zipper Tote:
I made a few changes: made the straps a couple inches longer, changed the number of interior pockets and their sizes, and omitted the zipper and the flower embellishment on the outside. Otherwise, I followed the pattern and it ended up turning out great. I'm so happy with it, not just because I scored a new bag, but also because it was one of the more challenging projects I've made and I didn't ask for any help. That's a big deal. I tend to get overwhelmed with more complicated patterns and get help on a few steps, even if I don't necessarily need it. To finish something without that boosts my confidence to try out more projects that I might have avoided before. Though I still, despite sewing for almost 3 years now, have never made anything with zippers or ruffles. I should address that. Anyhow, here's the evolution of my bag from scraps of fabric to finished product:
It's big enough to do double duty as a diaper bag, too. Score.
Happy Monday!
~Stacy


No comments:
Post a Comment