Thursday, August 9, 2012

First Fair




Charlotte has been to her very first County Fair.  We went earlier this week, on a day that was sunny and beautiful and wasn't so hot that it makes you sweat the instant you step outside.  We rode the merry-go-round, which she actually seemed sort of bored with and was starting to lull her to sleep by the end.  We went into all the barns to see the animals, where I was instantly reminded why I wouldn't last 5 minutes if I lived on a farm.  It was neat to be able to show her the real life version of all the animals she looks at in her farm animals book, though she seemed rather unimpressed by the cows and horses--she's apparently more of a rabbit and turkey kind of girl.  She whistled at the rabbits--whistling is a cute little trick she picked up about a week ago (where?  No idea.  I can't whistle.).


I think he was impressed:




While we had fun, she was much more in her element here:


The fair is always the first or second week of August and, to me, sort of signifies the beginning of the end of summer.  This week was the start of football, so all week the high school football team has been practicing for hours in the early morning.  The marching band has started practicing, too (during Charlotte's nap times.  It seems like right when she falls asleep is the exact moment that the drum line gets going).  Every ad in the Sunday paper is for "Back to School" items, and the air outside is just different--especially in the evening.  Even when it's still warm, even hot, the air is just...different, somehow.

I read yesterday that July was the hottest month since 1936.  Maybe it's that, or maybe since its been pretty warm since March, but I'm really looking forward to fall.  Fall is my favorite month; I love everything about it.  Winter is another story, but fall is fabulous.  I'm ready.

~Stacy


No comments:

Post a Comment