Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pondering Paint Colors

The time has come for us to paint to the living room.  We've lived here for six years and haven't touched it and I have no idea when the previous owners painted, so it's time to stop pretending that the walls will one day paint themselves.  As I've mentioned before on this blog, I hate painting.  I do okay with walls, but I dislike trim, cutting in, and most of all--ceilings.  I loathe painting ceilings.  Readers take note:  I'll provide paint, pizza, and refreshments if you paint the ceilings.  Deal?  Let's talk.

Right now the living room walls are supposed to be either white or slightly off-white, but over time have become a darling shade of "blah".  I didn't notice how much so until we painted the trim in the adjacent dining room a bright white.  While it made that room look great, it also highlighted all the other places in my house that need attention.  Isn't that always how home improvement projects work?  You do one project and before it's finished you've added at least five more.

I can't decide which colors to use.  I've been looking at swatches and have found several I like but I'm not sure I want to commit to any of them.  I definitely want to stick with a fairly neutral palette and bring in more color with accessories and pillows that can be changed out more easily.  I'm thinking of taking one of the palettes I like and toning down the colors so there's just a hint--similar to our dining room, which is painted a very pale shade of "sea glass" (I didn't name it).  It's just enough color and makes the white trim pop (which it better, because I didn't spend an entire weekend painting that trim four times to not have it pop).

The dining room opens up into the living room, so the colors need to flow.  The wood trim in the living room will also be painted white, and I'm leaning toward using more than one color but I haven't decided yet which walls to paint different colors.

I discovered a site called design-seeds.com that is a must-see for anyone debating paint colors.  You can search through tons of inspirational color palettes, like these ones:
Original photo from design-seeds.com (photo located here)
Find it here
Find it here
Find it here
Find it here
Find it here 
Find it here 
Find it here
I love them all; making a decision is the hard part...

~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment