Monday, September 16, 2013

Vermont Trip

After five days and many, many hours spent in the car we are home! Our Vermont trip was mostly successful, with the exception of some drizzly weather, missing our girl, and a ridiculous situation involving the college. Besides those three things, we managed to have fun and see a good portion of the state. I apologize in advance for the amount of photos :)

We stayed at the Haven Guest House in Fair Haven (a tiny town in western central Vermont). This place is the best--it's gorgeous, the rooms are large and comfortable, the owners are the nicest people you'll meet, and the breakfast is delicious. Win all around.





On day one, we drove south through a bunch of little towns and covered bridges and ended up in Woodstock, VT--a cute town with lots of neat shops and restaurants. It was small, but by Vermont standards it was a pretty happening place.

We didn't have cell phone signal in many of the areas we went through. Most of the driving is on country roads and even when you travel on a highway it's likely that you'll be one of just a few other cars. We had our map with us and just picked places out that sounded interesting and drove. That's one of the great things about Vermont: nothing is far. You can cross the state in 1.5-2 hours. Another great thing? No billboards. They aren't allowed in the state, which makes the driving even prettier.





The next day we did more of the same, except we drove north. We went through dozens more small towns and stopped in Vergennes, Shelburne, Burlington, Waterbury and Montpelier. Monteplier, the state capital, is teeny tiny-- it looks like downtown Medina (for those of you who live in Ohio). Burlington was my favorite of the bunch since there's a lot to do there and it's located right on Lake Champlain.

My only good picture from Burlington, since it rained most of our time there:

And Vergennes:


The leaves hadn't changed as much as I'd hoped, but there was definitely some color starting to show.



Another major highlight? Meeting Henry's identical twin. Seriously, look at this and tell me they don't look exactly alike:
Henry is on the right and the dog on the left is Homer, a five-year old Corgi who hangs out with his owner at a bookstore (she owns a used bookstore in Poultney, VT). I was looking at my phone and then put it in my pocket and turned around to find Homer sitting patiently in front of me waiting for pets. He was just the sweetest thing and I couldn't get over how much he looked like Henry. I would have taken him home if I could, but I ended up just buying a book instead :) He made my day, but it was also a little sad--I miss old Henry!

As with all trips, especially ones that require a lot of travel time, it was good to be home. It's always good to be home :)


~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment