Sunday, September 22, 2013

Second Chance Purse

I started making my little girl a shirt a few weeks ago and it was going all wrong. I set it down, walked away, and picked it back up a week later. I kind of fixed part of it then promptly messed something else up. Put it down. Went back today. Things quickly went downhill again and I had to admit to myself that it was never going to become the shirt I had set out to make. Or really anything ever resembling a shirt. It was beyond hope.

Or was it?

After some brainstorming and one rare but sure spark of clarity, I came up with a new idea to salvage the fabric that was left. The fabric, by the way, that she loves because it has kitty cats all over it. So I made a purse.

My girl loves purses--she's always taking mine and walking around with it or putting stuff in it. She loves to fill it up with random objects she finds in the house, empty it, repeat. I knew a purse would be a hit, maybe even more so than the original shirt I had planned.

I drew a half circle (well, more oval shaped?) pattern (about 9" wide and 6" long down the middle). I cut two pieces from the kitty cat fabric, two from the lining, and another two of fusible fleece. The fleece was then ironed to the wrong side of the outer fabric. I used a 7" zipper and made two straps about 2" wide by 22" long. Someday I'll get a real tutorial written up on this with photos :)

I think it turned out cute--and I'm so glad I was able to still use this adorable fabric.
Image

Image


IMG_9335


IMG_9337


The fabric is by Michael Miller but I don't know the name of the specific line...and the polka dot lining is also a Michael Miller--by Swirly Girls Designs, I believe.

All's well that ends well. :)

Happy Sewing.

4 comments:

  1. Love it!! I love the lining, too. nice touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous fabric and a great idea to make a bag with it. So cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I had already cut sleeves out of the lining so I'm glad I had enough :)

    ReplyDelete