Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Quilted Placemats (and Mug Rugs Too!)

Image


I did some serious stash busting this weekend. I had a lot of leftover odds and ends of my favorite fabrics with vintage-y vibes and found a way to use up a whole lot of them: quilted placemats and mug rugs. What are mug rugs, you ask? They're a placemat/coaster hybrid: smaller than a placemat, larger than a coaster, and the perfect size to set a mug of coffee and a treat. I first heard of them on Pinterest and thought it was a cute idea so I made my own.

Image


Image

I did my own thing for these--I didn't follow any pattern or standard measurements (are there standard measurements for placemats??). The finished mug rugs are about 5"X8" and the placemats are about 13"X19".

Image


Someday soon I'd like to write up a cutting guide and instructions for these. Someday soon most likely means "hopefully within the next 12 months but don't hold your breath", so we'll see. :)

Image


Image


Image


Image


These were fun to make--kind of like sewing four mini-quilts. I want to make more in different designs and colors, I just need to find someone to make them for. I don't need to become a placemat hoarder on top of a fabric hoarder... ;)

Happy Sewing!

3 comments: