We finished Charlotte's room a few days ago and now it's definitely my favorite room in the house. I had my worries about painting the walls pink, but now that it's done I think it actually looks really great against the crisp white trim and ceiling. I like it much better than the yellow (I didn't mind the color but I was just tired of it and it had started looking really dingy).
Charlotte's feelings about her room are overwhelmingly positive. Sometimes when we've been downstairs or outside for awhile she'll stop and ask to "go see my room? I love my room!". And she regularly tells me that she's "so excited about my big girl bed!". So that's adorable. And it definitely makes the aggravation of painting the ceiling worth it.
Here are some "before" shots:
And some "during", which are never pretty. We pretty much just dumped everything from her room into the extra bedroom until it was finished, making for this lovely sight:
After the painting was complete, Chad built her new bed frame in her room. We bought her a twin bed frame with built in drawers underneath, which meant we didn't need to buy a box spring--yay! And those drawers hold a lot, which is a must in a small house with precious little closet space.
Thankfully he had some "help":
After a very long day of sanding, painting, cleaning, and building, we were hungry. Charlotte was gone most of the day so it was a race against the clock to finish everything up before she came home and needed to go to sleep. This is what happens when Chad orders dinner on a very empty stomach:
Let's not discuss how much of this we actually consumed in one sitting.
Once everything was done we moved the crib back into the room, along with the bed, just in case there was drama with the new bed and she needed to sleep in the crib awhile longer. Thankfully she loves her bed, so out the crib went after less than a week.
So now I present the finished room:
I was going to make a new quilt, but realized this one I made last fall was kind of a perfect match. It's a double sided patchwork made of flannel (the line is Marmalade by Bonnie & Camille for Moda). It is super soft and a great size for a twin bed.
I made this bunting out of some of my most favorite fabric ever--The Simple Life by Tasha Noel for Riley Blake Designs.
The only other change I want to make is to switch the curtains out to white--I'd like to find some white eyelet and make them, with maybe a shade underneath to block out more light when she's sleeping. I'm planning on repurposing the pink striped curtains and making floor pillow covers. Someday, someday...
This room just makes me happy. It's bright, colorful and cheerful--just like the little girl who sleeps here. :)
~Stacy










No comments:
Post a Comment