What is it about play food and kitchens that I can't get enough of? As a kid I loved playing with my play food (of which I had a ton). I had a wooden hutch that my dad built, modeled after the one my mom had in our kitchen that she kept her Pfaltzgraff dishes in. The top was a display for plates and serving pieces and the bottom had a cupboard with shelves and storage for tons of play food. I even had a miniature dinnerware set that matched my mom's. I blogged in December about the play kitchen we gave Charlotte for Christmas this year. For awhile now (okay, since I was pregnant) I've thought about building her a nice wooden play kitchen that will last, and could be something she'll pass on to her child(ren) someday.
I've been perusing Pinterest and in addition to some amazing DIY kitchen ideas, I've also come across a lot of ideas for farmer's markets and bakeries. Oh my goodness, the creativity that is out there is unbelievable! Some of the ideas I found were sets that you could buy from a retailer but many of them were DIY projects, with tutorials, that people have come up with on their own. Some of them were built from scratch and some were repurposed from old TV stands, dressers, or end tables.
We have a hefty pile of plywood in our garage left over from the built-in bookshelves. There are several large sheets and a few medium and smaller sized cuts, but definitely enough to build something substantial. I would love to build her something like this, but I can't decide what--or when. Her 2nd birthday is in June, but I'm not sure that would be the best time for this. I really want to give it to her at an age when she can appreciate it, so I'm leaning toward waiting until next Christmas or her 3rd birthday. Either way, that'll give me plenty of time to figure out what I want to make and actually do it without being rushed. Oh, and Dad, if you're reading this, let it be a warning that I'll be asking for a lot of help with this project in the not so distant future :)
Here are some of the ideas I found on Pinterest:
![]() |
| Click here for pin and here for original site |
![]() |
| Click here for pin and here for original site |
![]() |
| Here for pin, here for site |
A note about the photo above: the original pin is from a site called IKEA Hackers. Basically they take items that are sold in IKEA stores and come up with ways to DIY. Brilliant!
![]() |
| Here for pin and here for site |
![]() |
| Click here for site |
![]() |
| Click here for pin and here for site |
![]() |
| Click here for site |
This one particularly blows my mind, since it's also a DIY project that a very creative and brilliant person came up with. I love the colors she used and the fabrics are the best. Check out the full article and more photos at The Crafting Chicks.
There are still dozens more pins on my Play Kitchen pinboard and hundreds more if you Google "DIY play kitchen". I'm really leaning toward the farmer's market stand, but I'm wondering if there'd be a creative way to incorporate a bakery display into that...I've also seen several lemonade/bakery stand combos out there, which are cute. But I definitely want the farmer's market piece too! Time to put my thinking cap on and come up with a way to get all of that and keep the size contained. I can't have this thing taking up my whole dining room.
Which one is your favorite?
~Stacy








No comments:
Post a Comment