Continuing on with my focus on all things spring, I made some spring tops for Charlotte this week. I'm proud to say that I've already accomplished a few of my new years sewing resolutions: I've branched out with sewing clothing, I've conquered zippers, and now with one of these tops I've attempted (and succeeded) at sewing ruffles. I don't know what my problem was about zippers and ruffles...I guess I just assumed they would be obnoxious and difficult, particularly zippers since they involve a different sewing foot. I'm glad to have gotten over my fear, since avoiding patterns with either of those skills limited my choices quite a bit.
Anyhow, the first shirt I made was a simple knit top using the Raglan Tee Tutorial from one of my favorite sewing blogs: Craftiness is Not Optional. This tutorial is great--the directions are thorough and clear and pictures are included for every single step. For this shirt you actually end up making your own pattern, which sounds hard but really isn't (especially with these instructions). I used this bright colored knit I found on sale at Joann's, plus some plain white rib knit for the sleeves and neckline:
I have a large pad of tracing paper that I use to make patterns. The paper is pretty thick, unlike regular pattern paper which is so tissue thin it can be hard to use. The pattern is drawn by using an existing shirt in the size you need and simply tracing around and adding seam allowances. Since the main part of the shirt and the sleeves are two different fabrics, the sleeves get cut off to make a separate pattern piece. Here's how mine evolved:
And the final product:
It was so simple to make, and the total time involved was probably about an hour (which includes the time it took to make the pattern). I have enough fabric left over to make another one in the next size up, which I might do and save it for next spring/summer. The only change I would make is to lower the front neckline a bit and make the neckline slightly wider on each side--maybe more like a boatneck style.
The second top I made comes from this pattern:
I used View A, and instead of making it all from the same fabric I used two fabrics for the top and bottom. Why? Because I couldn't decide which one I liked better. I also left off the rick rack on the bottom.
The fabric for this top is The Simple Life by Tasha Noel. I bought a bundle of six half-yard cuts and still have quite a bit left, so another top might be in the works...
This top gave me some trouble. There were a few times where I read the same instructions over and over and just said "what??" and had to walk away for awhile. I eventually worked it out on my own, but not without a little help from my seam ripper.
Ah, only one more week of February. I don't like to wish time away, but February is by far my least favorite month. I'm glad it's also the shortest. You know, since it's also the coldest, ugliest, grayest, bleakest...you get the idea. I don't like February.
Cheers to spring coming soon!
~Stacy

No comments:
Post a Comment