Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Library Book Bag


It seems like the more I sew the more fabric I accumulate in my stash--even though I'm using up a lot of yardage I continue to add smaller cuts to my ever growing stash of 1/2 yard cuts or less. I've been trying to find more projects to use up these smaller pieces and over the weekend made my girl a bag for her library books out of some leftover Sesame Street fabric. I've had this fabric over a year now, after using it to make her a shirt last year (which still fits, yay!). I had no idea what to do with it until I was making some large beach totes and got the idea to make a smaller version for her.

I cut two rectangles about 15" long and 12.5" wide for the outer bag and the lining. I attached fusible fleece to the outer pieces and left the lining alone. The straps are two strips, each 18" long and 4" wide. I also used fusible fleece on the straps to make them more comfortable (for when I carry the bag, because let's be serious--I will end up carrying her bag of books :)).

I didn't do anything fancy--no pockets, zippers, buttons, etc. since it's just a simple bag for books. I did box the corners to give it more shape and stability (I guess you could call that fancy?).

The outer fabric is from Joann's and the lining is something I had in my stash--I don't remember the name of it, but I've had it for a couple years. Fusible fleece is something I always keep in stock. I buy it when it's 50% off, or use a half off coupon at Joann's, and I use it for just about any bag I make. I've even used it for quilts, wall hangings and table runners--it's a sewing room staple!



I picked the right size bag--I used every last inch of these leftover fabrics. I'd like to do a tutorial on this one soon since it's easy and fun to make--look for it soon!

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment