Thursday, June 6, 2013

An Overdue Sewing Post

I'm not usually without motivation to sew. The problem is more about time, or rather lack of time. Sometimes it can be hard to make time to make things when there are so many other things that need to get done right now. And sometimes I just hit a lull where I know I want to make something but need a little inspiration.

Well, inspiration was found last week at a fabric shop that I had never visited, and now that I know it's there I will probably never stop visiting. It's called JEllen's House of Fabric and it is fabulous. Their fabric choices are right up my alley, the store is light and bright, and the decorating is amazing. Another bonus? Great prices and there are tons of samples made from each line to give ideas if you need a starting point.

Here are some photos, and make sure to visit their Facebook page for continuous updates on new fabric lines and monthly specials (like June, where all fabric with polka dots is just $6 per yard!)
This line is all Fig Tree--a mix of Avalon, California Girls, Butterscotch & Rose and some Strawberry Fields

Top shelf is Marmalade by Bonnie & Camille and bottom is Gypsy Girl by Lily Ashbury

Right photo is Spring House by Stephanie Ryan. On the left are bundles of mixed fabrics cut up by JEllen's. CUTE.
I pretty much want to just live in this store, or at least hang out here a few hours a day. Would that be creepy?

Aaand here's what I came home with:
Left photo is Michael Miller (Seaside collection), middle is a mix of Moda (Birds & Berries) and Michael Miller fabrics, and on the right is Avalon by Fig Tree.
Between getting new fabric and being around a store full of creativity, it gave me the motivation needed to make something. Or rather, somethings. 

Like shorts!

As a gift, I got this pattern. 

It's my first Oliver + S pattern and I wanted it for two reason: 1) they make the most adorable kids clothing and accessories patterns ever and 2) all of the sewing blogs I read have made things with these patterns and raved about them. Now I see why.

I made the shorts and while they did take me a bit longer than most other patterns, it was one of the best patterns I've ever used. The instructions were very well written and included lots of helpful tips and illustrations for each step. The pattern pieces themselves are very high quality, which is a nice change from the super thin pattern sheets I normally use.

If you make anything from these patterns (as with all patterns) make sure to read the size charts before cutting out the size you think you'll need! Their sizes run a bit large, so make sure to go by measurements even if the size doesn't match up to what the child would normally wear. I made the size 12-18 month shorts for Charlotte and they fit perfectly. My photos aren't great, since she was jumping around when I was trying to get her to model, but you get the idea. I love gingham. I could make everything out of gingham.
The gingham fabric I used was also from JEllen's (I believe another Michael Miller fabric). Side note: toddler knees are adorable.


And since I'd been filling so many orders for purses for other people I decided it was time to make myself one. So this summery/beachy/happy bag was born:


Both fabrics are Amy Butler, but I can't remember which lines. I ordered both from Fabric.com though and they have plenty in stock.

And then some more bunting. I just love this fabric line by Tasha Noel (called A Little Sweetness, manufactured by Riley Blake Designs). The sweet little illustrations on this fabric are perfect for showing off in bunting. I wanted the whole design to show, so I drew a template for a scalloped shape and paired it with different colored ginghams (again, with the gingham addiction). I love how it turned out...I might list it in my Etsy shop but I haven't decided for sure. I kind of want to keep it. I'm thinking it could be a good thing to keep for Charlotte's "big girl" room once she transitions out of her crib. I love the aquas, reds, yellows and pinks and think those colors would make for a very nice quilt for her bed, no?







Now I need to find a project for the mountain of fabric from JEllen's. I'm sure I'll work it out...

Happy Sewing.

~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment