One of my new favorite blogs is Brassy Apple, which is full of great tutorials on all sorts of projects. I found this one for sweater pillows and loved the idea. I had a pile of sweaters in a donate bin and pulled one out, along with an unused pillow form (yes, pillow forms are a staple in my house. I like making pillows). I laid out my sweater:
I cut out a 15" square (my pillow form was 14" and I used a 1/2" seam allowance), pinned right sides together, sewed around all sides and left a small opening for the pillow. The great thing about using a stretchy cable-knit sweater was that I only had to leave a couple inches open to get the pillow in. It was much easier than the ones I've made using quilting or home dec fabric.
Done! The entire project took 20 minutes, including hand stitching the opening closed. I've also made pillows using men's dress shirts--the idea is the same as this, except instead of leaving an opening around the edge you just insert the pillow by unbuttoning the front. It's great for pillows that get a lot of use, since you can easily slip the cover off and throw it in the wash.
That's about as creative as I'm going to get for the rest of the week. My house is something of a mess and I'm going to start working on my new sewing nook. I think I've mentioned before that my current "studio" is my dining room table. While the new locale will still be in the dining room, it will soon be in its own designated corner with a new table and storage. The before and after pictures will be coming soon. Yay!
~Stacy
No comments:
Post a Comment