Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Nook in Progress

So I've been working on getting my sewing nook set up (AKA "the corner of the dining room").  I was trying to find a table that would work as both a sewing and cutting space and would fit nicely in the room, both size- and style-wise.  My parents' neighbor is moving and had a few old tables that she was selling so I went over there a couple weeks ago to check them out.  I found the coolest vintage table (vintage = nice way of saying "old") that she let me have for $25.  This table is probably at least 80 years old, solid as a rock, and in great condition.  It was originally painted white and the paint and some of the wood needed work, so I tracked out a great tool that was able to fix all of this for me.  What tool is this, you ask?  Dad.  He was nice enough to strip, sand, and paint this little beauty:


Unfortunately I didn't get any "before" pictures.  I didn't have my camera when I bought it, and I wasn't going to ask my dad to take a bunch of blog pictures in addition to everything else--so just use your imagination :)  The paint is Blue Ocean Breeze by Krylon.  The picture doesn't do it justice, but it's such a bright, fun color.  The top of the table is white porcelain and was in excellent shape already.  I think I'll leave that alone, at least for now. 

I'm using the space underneath for my fabric stash, and I ordered a white wall cabinet that should be arriving any day.



That framed masterpiece is courtesy of my little artist.  My sister-in-law watched her last week and did some finger/foot painting with her!  She is a very brave soul, and Charlotte loved it!


 Since my sewing machine is on full display in its new home, I decided to make it something pretty to wear and get rid of the ugly plastic cover.  I used this 1/2 yard piece from the Flower Sugar line by Lecien (purchased here).  


I measured my sewing machine (top to table and side to side) and added 1.5 inches to the length and 1 inch to the width.  I cut 2 matching rectangles:


Pressed under 1/2", followed by another 1/2":


Sewed each hem, back-stitching at both ends:


Next, I pinned the pieces right sides together and sewed around the top and both sides, back-stitching again at the beginning and end:


At the tops, I placed the interior and exterior seams together and measured down 2.5" from the tip, then marked that line straight across with a pencil and pins.  


Stitched across the line and trimmed off the corners:


Turned right-side out and "dressed" the naked machine.  Isn't she pretty?



I need to hunt down a cute chair, and after sewing for a little while today I realized I need a lamp.  I think I can go shopping in my own house for that one and steal one that's underused in another room.  I'm also going to make a small wall-hanging (yep, love them). 

I will be sewing up a storm for the next couple of months--remember this post about the Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show?  I'm officially a vendor for their Spring 2012 show!  There will be many more details to follow on that, so stay tuned.

~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment