Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Party Dress


Last week The Cottage Mama (aka Lindsey Wilkes, pattern designer and blogger) re-released her new and improved Party Dress pattern for free to all newsletter subscribers--I was so excited! This is a great pattern but the fact that she released it as a free download makes it even better.

I was determined to find enough fabric in my stash to make this--I'm trying to sew through most of my stash before buying more fabric and so far every project I've made this year (with the exception of some quilt backing yardage) has been made without buying any new. I juuuust managed to cut the pattern out from these:

I bought the top fabric over a year ago and have been hoarding it ever since. I cut off the selvage before checking the designer info...the bottom one is by Heather Bailey, from her new line Lottie Da. The color is showing up a little more magenta in these photos, but the true color is less intense and more purple.


I followed the pattern mostly as is except for two small changes: I made the sash narrower (5" instead of 7") and instead of sewing it on to the waistband I left it loose so it can be removed. The dress looks slightly more casual without it, so it's just nice to have another option.


The sizing was right on--I made a 2T and it fits perfectly without any adjustments. If you make this be sure to check the size guide and don't assume the sizing will be the same as your child's typical size. 





When Charlotte got home she immediately found the dress and asked to wear it. I took a few pictures but when the weather gets warmer I want to take nicer ones of her wearing it in the park.

It has taken my top spot on my "favorite projects" list, by far. I just love everything about it and now I want to make it over and over again in different colors...

Happy Sewing!

~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment