Wednesday, January 8, 2014

First Project of 2014

We're a week into the new year and I've succeeded in accomplishing one project so far--a cheery little top for my girl. I mostly just asked for fabric this Christmas, and fabric I received. As in, piles and piles of fabric. So after I stared at all for awhile I boldly cut into one yard to make this shirt (does anyone else have an irrational fear of cutting into brand new fabric for risk of using it on the wrong project? Is it just me? Am I a fabric hoarder? I know the answer to that last one...).

Anyhow, I also got a few patterns for Christmas--one of which is this Oliver + S pattern that I've been wanting for awhile:
Image


I just love that shirt pattern and it looked like something I could make pretty quickly, which it was. It took about 1.5 hours, start to finish, including cutting out the pattern. Not bad at all.

I went with this fabric by Michael Miller (called Diddly Dot):

Image


My only adjustment to the pattern was adding an extra 1.5" band of white fabric at the bottom hem to make it a little longer. Without it the shirt was pretty short-- if my daughter raised her arms her belly would peek out. I just cut a 3" strip of white, folded it in half, then sewed it to the unfinished bottom. Besides adding necessary length I like the addition of a solid color to the busier top.Image


Ta da!

Image


Image


Image


I plan to make more in different fabrics and the only other thing I'd change going forward is to take an inch or two off the sides--like all Oliver + S patterns I've sewn, they run big. I made a 2T so she can hopefully wear it next year, but it's still really roomy on the sides.

I'd like to set a goal of making one thing a week for the year (on average). So far this week isn't looking too promising but there's still time. I'll keep you posted :)

Happy Sewing!

2 comments: