Monday, December 9, 2013

Chicago

Well, we made it! Despite crazy weather all over the country wreaking havoc on travel plans, we were able to get home from Chicago on Saturday on time (actually early!) and without any major headaches. It was a good way to end a great trip. A great trip but a cold trip, with temperatures hanging out in the teens most of the time.


We stayed at the Westin on Michigan Ave., which is right on the Magnificent Mile and close to a ton of shopping and restaurants. It was a nice place, though we were pretty much only there to sleep. 

The Westin is directly across the street from the Hancock Building, one of the tallest buildings in the city.

And just across from the Hancock Building is Water Tower Place, home of a giant Macy's, lots of shops, and the American Girl Place (where I would have probably had a heart attack had I gone when I was 8. That place is unbelievable).

Next up was a visit to Navy Pier, which was sadly a short visit since it was super foggy and rainy and construction at the site took over most of it.

I don't know why this surprised me, but it was completely dark in Chicago by 4pm--which meant it was time for indoor shopping, naturally.


Here is a random church across from our hotel that I just thought was really pretty. :)


The second day there we took a trolley tour and stopped at Millennium Park, home of The Bean. This place was really cool and there was hardly anybody there. Perhaps this was because it was the middle of a Thursday, perhaps it was because it was terribly windy and bone-chillingly cold, but either way it was pleasant. 




The next stop was State Street, home of an even bigger Macy's (and The Walnut Room restaurant, where we ate dinner). This area was home to even more shopping and the theater district, so there was plenty to do. We visited Magnolia Bakery, did more shopping, and at the end of the day went to see Elf: The Musical, which was adorable and funnier than I expected (I love the movie, but I was skeptical about the musical).





In between shopping and seeing Elf, we visited the Christkindl Market in Daley Plaza, which was a highlight. There were dozens of vendors set up selling art, jewelry, pottery, ornaments and tons of delicious German and Polish food, drinks and desserts. I could have spent more time there but at that point we had been out in the cold most of the day and had pretty much had enough.
On Friday, our last full day in Chicago, we visited the Lincoln Park Zoo. This place was incredible and the best part is that it's free. It was decked out with holiday lights and music and was a fun way to spend a couple of hours, plus we got to watch a particularly charming beaver swim around. It doesn't take much to please us, apparently.




View from the zoo:

And on Saturday, we left for the airport hoping desperately that we'd make it home on time despite all the nasty weather. Thankfully, our flight could not have been better. 

Farewell, Chicago. I hope to see you again soon!

~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment