My plans tonight? Watching this:
This is not only one of my favorite holiday movies, but it's one of my favorite movies of any category. This is one of the few movies that is just as funny in its edited-for-TV format, but assuming there aren't children watching you have to watch the unedited version. There are few scenes funnier than Steve Martin's f-bomb laced tirade at the rental car counter in any movie, ever. It's a must see, and Steve Martin is an excellent swearer.
While I'm on the topic of movies, and since I started writing this post with no plan or purpose in place ahead of time, let's talk about the best holiday movies out there. Every year there are tons of specials and movies that are usually quite terrible (Hallmark Channel, I'm looking at you. Hitched for the Holidays and A Bride for Christmas are just two of the gems on this year's roster. Seriously?). And there are the classics, like It's a Wonderful Life, that are universally loved (I have a confession. I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life in it's entirety. I tried once and fell asleep. I'm sorry.) Here are my favorite holiday movies, in no particular order:
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
![]() |
| Click for image source |
Ok, I guess this list is in some kind of order because Christmas Vacation is, hands down, my favorite. I can (and do) watch this several times during December and never get tired of it. I'm not a huge National Lampoon's fan otherwise, but this movie is fantastic. Also, I want to live in the Griswold's house.
Elf
![]() |
| Image source |
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Aww, who doesn't love Charlie Brown? This one is a classic and reminds me of being a kid and excitedly looking through the TV Guide to find out when all the Christmas specials were on. It's a short and sweet story about the true meaning of Christmas, complete with an adorable beagle and excellent music. What's not to like?
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Another childhood classic, this 1964 claymation story of sweet little Rudolph is still around and still just as good as I remember it (unlike some movies, which I watch as an adult and shudder. They shall remain nameless.).
A Christmas Story
There are more (some guilty pleasures, some not), like Love Actually, Four Christmases, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Home Alone (the first and second ones only), but these are my top 5. What are yours?
~Stacy






No comments:
Post a Comment