Sunday, April 22, 2012

What's Old(ish) is New

This post has been a long time in the making, literally.  For my second Christmas, my grandparents gave me a child's sized wooden rocking chair.  While I don't remember getting it, I do remember using it years later in my room.  I loaded it up with my dolls and stuffed animals and can remember rocking them in it.  When I outgrew it, my dad put it in the attic along with a few other special toys and items from my and brother's childhood.  I had forgotten it was up there, until just about a year ago at my baby shower when it appeared, spiffed up and re-covered to match Charlotte's bedroom.  My mom had gotten it down and recovered it with fabric that we had used for the crib bumpers (which were on the crib for about a month, until the baby was born and I learned crib bumpers are kind of a no-no...oh well, they were cute while they lasted).  The chair sits in the corner of Charlotte's room and last month we brought it out and let her sit in it for the first time.  She thought she was pretty cool sitting in such a sweet chair, rocking it back and forth all by herself.  It's still a little big for her, but I think it's so special to have something that was once mine now become hers. 

Here is the chair's debut on Christmas of 1985.  This is me and my grandpa, who passed away in 2001.  I wish he were here to see the little lady sitting in that chair now.
Christmas 1985, Stacy & Grandpa

Christmas 1985

 It is worth noting that there is not just one, but actually three different dolls in these pictures (not to mention the cradle, bike, and other various items).  At the time there were four grandchildren and I was both the youngest (by 4 years) and the only girl.  My grandpa took note of this and gifted accordingly, haha.  He loved to surprise us and one of his favorite things was Christmas and shopping for toys.  I think he enjoyed picking things out as much as we enjoyed opening them up. 


Here's the chair last April:


And now:



 I think it looks even better now than it did 26 years ago, and not just because of the cute little jelly bean sitting in it :)


~Stacy










No comments:

Post a Comment