Gardening. It is not a hobby of mine, and I don't think it ever will be. I want to like it, I really do, but it's kind of like running: every time I decide it's a good idea and start, I get bored/cranky/tired very quickly and am reminded of why I don't like it. The problem is that I really want pretty landscaping, weed free flower beds, and colorful plants surrounding my house. Every year I buy ferns and hang from the front porch. I like how they look, but more importantly I can't kill them. I am the person flowers come to to die. I cannot be trusted to keep them alive longer than a couple days, so please do us both a favor and never ask me to look after your houseplants if you go on vacation. All I have to do with the ferns is remember to water them once or twice a week, and even when I forget that (which I have) they spring back to life almost immediately after a good shower. That's my kind of plant.
This year we decided we want to do something more with our landscaping even if we hate the process (which we will, I promise). Our flower beds are looking really sad--they are in desperate need of weeding and new mulch and could use more color. Since I'm such an untrustworthy gardener, I am looking to gain color by planting low-maintenance flowers in large pots and placing them about and planting a few low- or no-maintenance bushes (other than annual pruning, which I can handle).
I got really motivated to do this after I read this post over at Young House Love. They were brave enough to show the "before" pictures of their yard, and I thought it seemed like a great motivator. I took my "befores" a couple days ago and plan to start the project next week (weather permitting). My goal is to have everything completed before Memorial Day. The following weekend is Charlotte's first birthday, and we're planning a cookout here-- I want it to look pretty!
![]() |
| Yikes. |
| See that giant stick on the left side? It grows like crazy, no matter what I do. Time to dig. |
There is also the issue of the ugly weed party happening next to the garage. We were told these are actually mini-maple trees that have sprouted, but no matter what you call it it's a mess and needs to go. It runs almost the entire length of the garage and is about 2 feet wide. We plan to chop all that up, scrape it out, and plant a few bushes (maybe even hydrangeas?). I originally wanted to put in a small vegetable garden, but we have a lot of critters that find their way into our yard and I don't want to end up just growing them a delicious buffet. Also, baby steps. If I can't manage keeping an indoor cactus alive (seriously) then I shouldn't be giving myself the responsibility of actual food just yet.
![]() |
| Ugly weed garden |
| I know. It looks like a forest. |
Have a great weekend!
~Stacy





No comments:
Post a Comment