Howard, on the other hand? Always photo ready:
In this particular shot, he was both tired and ashamed. The tiredness was from his new favorite activity: football. He has a semi-deflated football (from somewhere, as I do not recall purchasing a football ever in my life) that he plays fetch with and loves almost as much as Frisbee. The shame came from the scolding he'd just gotten for barking his head off at the neighbors who were hanging their Christmas lights. I don't know what it was about the sight of a lit wreath and some twinkly garland that upset him so intensely (and loudly), but it did. He has since calmed down and decided that Christmas decor is not, after all, the root of all evil.
Anyhow, books. I haven't gone to the library recently and was on a bit of a book drought. Now that we have the built-ins I am constantly looking at all of the books I own and haven't read in a long time, so I thought it might be a good idea to reread some old favorites. I narrowed it down to books I liked when I was younger and haven't read in forever, ones that I kept because they're great (classics, in my mind) but also because I want Charlotte to have them when she's older. Here's my list:
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (the whole series)
My mom gave me the first few books in this series when I was younger, around 8 or 9 years old. I read them all and enjoyed them but wanted to revisit the series as an adult since I know I didn't appreciate learning about the history and pioneer way of life at that age. The books are fascinating, especially given that they are a real account of Laura Ingalls Wilder's life from the time she was five years old until she was a grown woman, married with a family of her own.
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (whole series)
I finally joined the modern world and read this series for the first time last winter. I loved them. Every single one of the 4,224 pages (no, I didn't count. Google it.) was fantastic. This type of story is normally not my thing, so I was surprised that I enjoyed these books as much as I did. There are so many characters and all of them are so richly developed that I think I'll get even more from the books by reading them again. And this time around I'll know what happens to Voldemort so I won't be as anxious to fly through them :)
Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
I think everyone has read Little Women or at least has a general idea of the story. This is one that I read when I was about 10 or 11 and was, by far, the longest book I had read to that point. It seemed like it took forever, and I know I missed out on a lot of the history and details in the story. It's also one that I've never reread, so I would like to revisit it soon. Hopefully it won't take so long to read this time around :)
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
I first read this in 11th grade as part of an assignment for my English Lit class. I liked it so much that I ended up doing my final report on the life of F. Scott Fitzgerald and ended up reading a few of his other books. This Side of Paradise comes in at a close second, but Gatsby is the best. I want to reread this one before the movie comes out this summer (which I hope Hollywood doesn't screw up...).
Now, off to get some other things accomplished before my tiny teething monster wakes up.
Happy December!
~Stacy





No comments:
Post a Comment