Monday, July 30, 2012

New Old Things

Without planning to, I've amassed a small stash of old and made-to-look-old things.  I could have said "vintage" instead of "old", but that word has become waaay overused.  Ever pick up a gossip magazine and a celebrity is wearing some un-identifiable brand?  It's immediately labeled "vintage." Not "some old thing they had lying around in their closet".  I'm going to start calling my ancient, ratty tennis shoes and college hoodie that I still wear "vintage" and I plan to refer to myself as "vintage" once I'm in my eighties.

Anyhow, while we were on vacation we visited a town in New Hampshire near Lake Winnipesaukee called Moultonborough.  There was this area alongside the road with about half a dozen small sheds that were small antique stores, all grouped together, called The Shoppes at Red Hill.







While we were there, my dad and I took a liking to those plaid coolers sitting on the front porch in the photo fourth from the top.  They were a little pricey so we wanted to check Ebay--my dad found some similar ones for less money and ordered one for me:

Also during our visit to New Hampshire, I stopped at Keepsake Quilting and they had a huge collection of 1930s reproduction fabrics, kits, and patterns.  I found this adorable fabric panel with four cut-outs to make rag dolls and their matching pets:
It's made by Blue Hill Fabrics, and they also make a bunch of other cute templates that are similar to this.  I plan on making these for Charlotte for Christmas, and I love that all I have to do is cut them out, sew, and stuff.  Bonus: totally washable.

I also found this old-fashioned lace-up Christmas card set:
My plan for those is to frame them and use as Christmas decorations.  Speaking of Christmas, there's also this new-to-me tablecloth that my mom found at one of the Red Hill shops:

And finally, this:
My dad found it at a flea market and it's admittedly pretty beat up, but I'm hoping I can restore it somehow.  Once finished, I want to line the inside with fabric and use it as a holder for all of the stuffed animals in Charlotte's room.  Granted, by the time it gets finished Charlotte will probably be ready to graduate high school...do a doll house and baby carriage make appropriate graduation gifts?  No?

Happy Monday (blah).  I've been trying to keep myself off the internet as much as possible so I don't see any of the Olympics results before I can watch the events.  That's the downside of both A) technology and B) time zones.  Watching the live stream online is not an option with a baby in the house and with hoping to be productive in any way, so I wait.

Enjoy your week!

~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment