Wednesday, July 18, 2012

13 + 13 = (Surprising) Success

The trip has been going wonderfully, and I have (too) many pictures to share soon, but this post is mostly about the trip down here and how to survive a long road trip with a baby/toddler in tow.


After 13 hours in a car with a 13 month old, I am happy and relieved to say that the journey to Maine went very smoothly.  I went into the trip with no expectations--I didn't want to assume that Charlotte would not do well on such a long car ride, but I also didn't want to assume she'd be an angel and we'd be booking our next road adventure before we got home.  Thankfully, the trip "To" (we haven't completed "From" yet...) could not have gone better.  


Ready to go!
We left our home around 3PM, when Charlotte usually takes her afternoon nap.  We arrived in Erie, PA around 5PM, just as Charlotte was waking up.  We grabbed dinner then wandered around a bookstore and the mall for a couple hours so Charlotte could blow off steam until bedtime.  It was weird to put her PJ's on in a mall bathroom and feed her her bottle on a couch in front of The Gap, but it worked.  We left Erie around 8PM and Charlotte was asleep by 8:15PM.  I drove until around midnight, then Chad took over for the night shift.  Quality sleep isn't really something either of us could get in a car, so we both pretty much pulled an all-nighter.  We made a few stops for gas and coffee (it's weird drinking coffee at 3AM) and pulled into our final destination at about 5:45AM, just as Charlotte was waking up.  We were tired, but the handling the drive that way was ideal.  We avoided traffic and it was smooth sailing the whole way.  I would highly recommend handling a long road trip like this for anyone with young children--you'll be exhausted, but it beats being completely stressed out.


We passed thru Massachusetts, about 45 minutes from where we're staying, at sunrise:

That would be 4:59AM...

Sleepy
Since arriving, we've been busy going places and doing all kinds of fun things!  Much more on that later, but until then:
Portland Head Light

Enjoy your week!

~Stacy


P.S.  I have no idea why Blogger is randomly highlighting some of the paragraphs in this post.  Ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment