I made my first spring/summer project of the year--a romper for Charlotte using a free pattern and tutorial by It's Always Autumn. It just so happened that the pattern was for a size 4T--perfect. The pattern was designed to sew up using a stretchy knit, but I made mine out of a quilting weight cotton (it's from one of the more recent lines by Bonnie & Camille). It came out great, but the only adjustment I would make if using quilting cotton instead of knit is to add maybe half an inch to each side of the bodice. I didn't and it still fits fine, but it might be a little more comfy and easier to get on with a the extra width.
I didn't adjust anything to the pattern and it fits Charlotte perfectly. She's petite, so if you're sewing it for a taller 3-4 year old you might want to add an inch or so to the bodice. There should be room to play with in the shorts--I hemmed hers up almost an inch and they're still plenty long (she's 37.5" tall). Also, the tutorial doesn't give fabric requirements or seam allowance, but I used about a yard of fabric and kept all the seam allowances to 1/2".
It was a super easy pattern and I made this one in under two hours total. The site also has variations of this pattern for a dress and a top, which I plan to make next since this was so simple and fun to sew.
But without further ado:
She was a big fan of this outfit and didn't want to take it off, so it must be comfortable! She kept asking me to take more pictures of her.
Happy Sewing!
~Stacy







it looks so lovely
ReplyDelete