I normally stay away from stuffed animal/doll type projects. I've just had too many attempts that have resulted in me getting frustrated and giving up, or making something that ends up looking totally ridiculous (maybe someday I'll tell the story of my attempt at making a stuffed elephant). But this week I tried again and I'm glad I did.
I grabbed this pattern at Joann's a few weeks ago when it was on sale for $1.00:
I thought it was super cute, looked easy enough, and I had all the supplies on hand to make the whole thing (how often does that happen??). It turns out that not all stuffed animal/doll patterns are created equal and this one is actually great! I thought the instructions were clear and simple and the project itself was relatively fast and easy. My only suggestion: make the arms about 1/4" wider than the pattern. Once you turn them right side out they're verrry narrow and therefore very difficult to stuff! I had to use a long, skinny screwdriver to get them stuffed all the way and turning them right side out was even a challenge.
I used leftover muslin for the body, felt scraps for the hair, and fabric scraps for the dress, cape and socks. The fabric is a mix of Marmalade by Bonnie & Camille (for the dress pleat and socks), Fig Tree (the red gingham cape) and a Michael Miller polka dot for the dress.
I might have to make her a couple of friends...
Happy Sewing!
Oooohh!!! That doll is so cute!! :D
ReplyDeleteVery cute!
ReplyDeleteThank you!! The pattern was irresistible, I'm glad it was easy to make!
ReplyDelete