We've celebrated a few things this month: Charlotte's birthday, Father's Day and our 10th anniversary! First up was her 4th birthday. I hope her wish comes true :)
For our anniversary we spent the day together and bought an ice cream cake. When we got married and for a few years after, we had these grand visions of taking some sort of fantastic vacation on our 10th anniversary. It was easy to imagine this ten years ago when our only responsibilities were to ourselves and we could not have even imagined what our lives would be like now. Alas, with a four year old and a second baby coming any week now taking an exotic vacation is definitely not in the plan but as it happens, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Though we were able to go out on a dinner date, which was a highlight. This little place is in walking distance from our house and we were able to sit outside and watch the sunset while we ate (since we didn't go out until 8:15, a dinner time that is shockingly late at this stage in our lives).
Other than celebrating, there's been park visits:
Picking "flowers" for our hair:
Cute dresses:
My hydrangeas in bloom:
And an almost missed camping trip this weekend due to a crazy amount of rain, but that thankfully still happened. They camped at Findley State Park and had their first tent camp of the season--and last camping trip until after the baby comes. I'm so glad they were able to go; they had such a great time.
While they camped, I cooked. I am in full blown nesting mode over here! My constant state, even non-pregnant, is sort of like nesting--I like to clean and do it often (I know, it's weird, but I live in a small old house and keeping it clean makes it feel bigger. And it gets dusty just by looking at it. Also I get really stressed really fast in messy surroundings). But my pregnant state takes nesting to an all new level and right now it's for real. In the past week I've completely reorganized the linen closet, bathroom cupboards, pantry, and refrigerator. I've gotten the baby's room finished, gone through just about every room and closet and pulled out piles of stuff to donate, and vacuumed my car. Why? Because I HAD to. Nesting is like that, at least for me. If I get a wave of energy and along with that wave comes the urge to clean all the grout in the kitchen with a toothbrush and Magic Eraser, I have to do it. It's like breathing.
So this weekend I cooked. I wanted to get plenty of dinners made and put in the freezer before the baby comes so that when she's here, I don't have to think about much cooking (or shopping, or menu planning) for at least a little while. I did a smaller version of this when I had Charlotte, but I learned a few things from that. Like, if you're having a summer baby and will be eating the meals in June or July, you may want to avoid making super heavy cream based casseroles--like Pierogi Casserole or Tater Tot Casserole. I made both of those, probably due to really strong carb cravings at the time, but they were both foods better served to someone trying to survive in an Arctic winter than to someone in the middle of an Ohio summer who is trying to at least pretend to lose baby weight.
And in the past four years, I've gotten much better at cooking. And we eat much more of a variety of foods, and rarely buy anything prepackaged or canned. (If you ever want to be horrified, read the ingredient label on a can of cream of mushroom, or cream of chicken, or any cream-of soup).
That made finding a good list of freezer meal recipes a little more challenging. There are TONS of sites and pins out there with recipes, many of them claiming you can make 30 meals in four hours and under $100--or something to that effect. The problem is that 28 of those meals probably have cream of something, or a bunch of packaged stuff in them. Which is precisely why you can make 28 meals in such a short amount of time--because there isn't really any cooking involved. It's just opening a bunch of packages and cans and dumping it all into a dish and covering it. I took a slightly longer route and picked out recipes that I knew we'd want to eat in the summer, that were healthy enough to be good post-baby choices but still tasty enough that I looked forward to eating them (because let's face it, it's hard to get jazzed about a kale smoothie or spinach salad).
The biggest exception was the double batch of strawberry muffins. BUT I made them from scratch and they do have a lot of fresh strawberries inside so that counts for something.
I'll be back soon.
~Stacy











No comments:
Post a Comment