Friday, April 3, 2015

More Flutter Sleeve Projects

Last week I was on a roll with the flutter sleeve romper pattern from It's Always Autumn. I made the romper and liked the pattern so much that I decided to make a top and a dress out of it. The pattern and instructions are mostly the same, except you leave out the shorts for the top (and I added some width to make a the top more flowy) and add a few inches to the top to make the dress. To make things easier, the site also has free downloadable patterns specifically for a top and dress if you prefer.

I used this adorable bicycle print I bought last fall for the top. I don't recall the designer of this line, but it was the last half yard that Fat Quarter Shop had available! It was the perfect amount for this top.



For the dress I used yardage from the newest Flower Sugar line by Lecien. The fabric was quite a bit thinner than a typical quilting weight cotton, though, and once it was made up I decided against using it as a dress since it was so thin and almost see through. I also goofed up and sewed the neckline bias tape to the outside. Rather than pull it out and start again I ended up designating this one a nightgown. Charlotte loves nightgowns and prefers to sleep in them over anything else, so she was thrilled.



These projects are some of the fastest you can make--about 30 minutes per piece start to finish. Can't beat that!

Happy Sewing.

~Stacy

3 comments:

  1. so lovely dresses, one with roses specially,
    I'm not sure that I understand where I should sew bias tape,
    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bias tape part can be confusing if you've never done it this way before but it's very easy. I used this tutorial: http://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/2014/06/23/girls-flutter-sleeve-dress-top-sewing-tutorial-free-pattern-4t.html It includes instructions and pictures, so it should help you out! Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, I will find some tutorials on youtube to be sure about details.

    ReplyDelete