Sunday, April 14, 2013

Fabric Intervention

Oops, I bought more fabric. Thankfully I sew a lot, otherwise I'd be a contender for an episode of Hoarders with my fabric collecting habits. But if I use all the fabric I buy then it isn't really hoarding, right? Right. 

I found myself (somehow) at Olla Mae's Dry Goods in Oberlin on Saturday. The very first sewing pattern I ever bought (before I even knew how to sew) was at Olla Mae's. I had just decided that I wanted to learn and already had the sewing machine and some fabric. I bought a pattern for a small purse but didn't end up making that purse until earlier this year since it had zippers...and I just recently got over my zipper sewing phobia. It's a small shop but is packed with patterns, notions, and lots of high quality fabric--including a lot of 1930s reproductions, which I love.


I had to get this one for my girl since she loves kitties so much...I'm thinking of making her a fall jumper out of it. The line is called "Pillow Purrfect" and it's by Michael Miller.

Other fabrics I recently collected from Fabric.com, courtesy of their huge sale last week, which included a yard from a line I've had my eye on for a long time, Out to Sea by Sarah Jane for Michael Miller fabrics. This line is getting harder and harder to find and will no doubt be sold out soon. Thankfully this wasn't :)

I've had large panel of Strawberry Shortcake fabric to make a blanket for Charlotte and Fabric.com had the yardage for the backing in stock and on sale. Double win.

And let's not forget about these:
I couldn't pass up the strawberry buttons...they'll be perfect for a dress I'm making Charlotte for next summer with strawberries on it. Yes, I said next summer. She's got more than enough dresses and summer clothes in stock for this year so any summer sewing I do now has to be for later or she'll never get a chance to wear everything enough. And the pattern on the right is a new one from McCall's for a portable fabric dollhouse. It looks super fun. Oh, and all the patterns were on sale for $1.00 so I couldn't pass it up. Clearly.

But I haven't just been collecting mass quantities of fabric. I've got a few projects underway and just finished this today:

This is from the same pattern I used for the shirts in this post . I found the fabric at Joann's and since it was the end of the bolt (and surprisingly, the exact amount I needed) I got it for half off. Between that and a coupon, this shirt ended up costing me about $3.50. I left out the elastic in the sleeves this time. I kind of like the fluttery sleeves look without the elastic. Also, it's much easier since sewing elastic casing around those little sleeves is a pain.




68 and partly sunny tomorrow, or so I've been promised. If so, I don't plan to be inside much at all. I can't wait.

~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment