And so here we are. The first day of preschool. The day that Charlotte has been looking forward to pretty much since she started talking and the day that I've been looking forward to and kind of dreading ever since last winter when we decided to send her to preschool this year.
And, much to my relief, it was a smashing success. She loved it and she can't wait to go back. The first day was a shorter day (90 minutes), and parents were asked to come too. So we went, and several times she said "okay Mommy and Daddy, you can go home now!" It actually made me feel really good to hear her say that since I want her to like it and I would feel awful if I dropped her off and she was sobbing and begging me to stay.
The school is wonderful, the teachers are wonderful and I think she's going to have a great year. Several people asked me if it was hard or if I cried at all, and the answer to both has surprisingly been no. I think seeing how much fun she had that first day, coupled with the fact that it's only two days a week for a few hours each makes it easier. I was feeling a lot of feelings the night before, telling Chad that I was about two steps away from forgetting about the whole thing and just starting her next year. Or running away to some remote part of Vermont and homeschooling and living off the land and avoiding all contact with the rest of the world as a way to convince myself that I had stopped time.
I've never been good with change, but thankfully my daughter is much more of a chameleon :)
She drew her new teacher two pictures at home and insisted on bringing them the first day to give to her. She also gave herself and Winnie several pep talks about how he couldn't come in to school but that he would have to "stay safe in the car" while she was in school and she would see him soon.
~Stacy






No comments:
Post a Comment