Last month we took the Minimalist Challenge (read about it on their blog) and while we didn't get quite as hardcore as the challenge suggests, we did do a super thorough evaluation of the stuff we have and took the opportunity to get rid of excess and either sell or donate it.
And it. felt. awesome.
Even something as simple as getting rid of some shirts I had hanging in my closet that I thought I would maybe wear one day but that just have never looked particularly flattering any time I try them on felt freeing. Dishes that are beautiful but that I haven't used in over five years--let someone else get some joy out of them. Beautiful dishes aren't so beautiful when they're packed away in a plastic bin for years at a time. Baby clothes, toys that Charlotte never plays with, so many things I was holding on to in case I might need them--most of them are now gone.
My house feels bigger and cleaner but it was also a huge stress reliever. Just the act of letting go of all that stuff felt like my whole house took a sigh of relief. I didn't expect such a reaction.
I've kept reading the blog after the challenge was over and have been brainstorming other ideas to put in place to simplify and de-stress. Some of the ideas we're bouncing around are bigger ones, some small. It's fun to dream, and in time it'll be fun to do.
In the meantime, I've minimized one place that never leaves me feeling better after visiting it: Facebook. I find value in social media, especially places like Pinterest and Instagram that are visual and pretty. But Facebook is one that I know I can live without and as of today, I am.
So if you were my "friend" on Facebook and don't have my personal contact info, feel free to reach out via e-mail to bluebaycottage@gmail.com. :) And click here to find me on Instgram!
~Stacy
No comments:
Post a Comment